- This event has passed.
REI Facilitated: Introduction to Map & Compass Navigation Class
August 24 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
During this class, our instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass, and how to put the two together. You’ll learn about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination). After covering these fundamentals, you’ll get time to practice taking a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can make sense of your position and plan a route. This engaging course is a great introduction to outdoor navigation and map reading! Arrival: Please arrive 5-10 minutes prior to the start time listed above. Food: Remember to pack energy snacks and water for the day.
- Learn to read a topographic map
- Understand the difference between true north and magnetic north
- Learn to calculate declination
- Use a compass to take a bearing, plot your position on a map, and develop a route plan
- Build confidence in your navigational skills
- Class may take place off of well-groomed trails
Registration Required. Fees Apply. Limited to 12 people.